What To Do When Experiencing Wisdom Tooth Pain
Sometimes your wisdom tooth or teeth can cause pain. Usually this occurs suddenly and can be very painful. Often, doctors offices may be closed or there may not be an appointment available for another week or two. The wisdom tooth can be infected, broken or has a cavity. Besides the pain, there can be progression towards swelling of the gums and/or face, fever, throat pain and limited opening of the jaw. Here are some things that can be done while waiting for the doctors appointment.
- Apply an ice pack on the outside of the face where pain is being experienced. Apply it for 20 minutes, then remove it for 20 minutes. Repeat as needed.
- Gently rinse your mouth with warm salt water every 2 to 3 hours. Mix 1 tsp (5 g) of salt in a medium-sized glass [8 fl oz (240 mL)] of warm water.
- Take an over the counter pain medication such as tylenol. Carefully read and follow all labels on the medicine bottle and box. If you have any concerns about how these medications may affect any health issues that you may have, consult with the in store pharmacist.Another type of over the counter medication that can be effective in pain relieve are the Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These include aspirin (such as Bayer or Bufferin), ibuprofen (such as Advil or Motrin) or naproxen (such as Aleve or Naprosyn).
- Do not use heat or put an aspirin or goody powder directly on the gums around the wisdom tooth. Aspirin used in this way can damage your gums.
- If you have a dentist you can call your that office for a pain medication prescription. Sometimes an antibiotic medication may be recommended.
If a dentist is not available and you would like to be seen immediately, visiting the Emergency room or an urgent care clinic is an option. However, medications probably will only be prescribed. The most effective option will be visiting a dentist or an oral surgeon to have the wisdom tooth removed or treated.
For more information visit www.oralsurgicalarts.com
Dr. Ronald Achong is a Board Certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon serving the Lake County and Orlando area.